In Elder Law News

Your husband cannot send money to your son. That would be considered a transfer of assets that would disqualify him from receiving Medicaid benefits. However, you may be able to do so. Someone in a nursing home covered by Medicaid must contribute his income to the facility, less certain allowances. He may keep a small amount for personal expenses, $72.80 a month in most states, and may continue to pay health insurance premiums. In addition, he may be allowed to pay a certain amount of his income over to his spouse. The amount depends on her own income and living expenses.

If it turns out that you are entitled to such a spousal income allowance, there are no restrictions on your paying some or all of it over to your husband’s son.

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search